Medigap Plan N is offered in a number of states, and like other supplement plans, covers basic benefits for medical and hospital expenses. This plan offers the same benefits as Medigap plan D, except the insured will be responsible for a copayment of up to $20 for some office visits to their doctor and a copayment of up to $50 for visits to the emergency room of a hospital that does not result in an inpatient admission.
As with plans D and M, this plan will benefit people who want to be able to predict what their monthly medical expenses will be, but are willing to pay a little more of out-of-pocket to keep their premiums down. Plan N is most suitable to people who’s physicians accept assignment (accepting the Medicare-approved amount as payment in full). If your doctor accepts assignment, they cannot bill you for an excess charge.
Medigap Plan N covered benefits:
- Medicare Part A coinsurance plus coverage for 365 additional days after Medicare benefits are used up
- Medicare Part B coinsurance or copayment – the insured is responsible for copayments of up to $20 for office visits and up to $50 for emergency room visits that do not result in an inpatient admission.
- First 3 pints of blood
- Part A hospice care coinsurance or copayment
- Part A hospitalization deductible
- Skilled nursing facility co-insurance
- Foreign travel emergency (up to plan limits)
Medigap Plan N benefits not covered:
- Part B medical deductible
- Part B excess charges
Please note, if your doctor accepts Medicare and also accepts assignment, they are accepting the Medicare-approved amount for a completed service as payment in full.