Obesity affects tens of millions of Americans and is one of the biggest factors in obtaining a life insurance policy. The insured person’s height/weight profile will be one of the first risk measurements used by insurance companies to determine what risk classification to assign and what rates to charge. The acceptable height/weight range for each risk class can vary substantially from company to company.
If you are considered obese, life insurance companies will want to know the following information to make an accurate risk assessment:
- What is your current height/weight?
- Have you gained or lost more than 20 pounds in the past year?
- Is your weight stable?
- Are you a smoker or use tobacco products?
- Are you being treated for high blood pressure or cholesterol?
- Have you had any abnormal lab results?
- Any history of cancer or heart disease in the immediate family before age 60?
- Do you have any co-morbid conditions, such as diabetes, heart disease, sleep apnea, tobacco use, etc?
Obesity is a condition which can receive favorable underwriting – a few companies may also be able to offer a standard rate even when a “table” rating would normally apply if you purchase permanent insurance instead of term insurance through a table reduction program. Table ratings require an extra premium compared to a standard rate. An example would be a Table D / Table 4 rate would be approximately two times the standard rate.
If you are obese, you should NOT apply with multiple companies at the same time. The more companies that give you a table rating or decline coverage on a formal application, the less likely you are to get a better offer!
You need the help of an independent life insurance agent that can shop your medical profile informally (no personal information is revealed to the insurance companies, just a general medical profile). We specialize in high risk life insurance and make sure you are getting the best possible offer. This is how it works:
- Call us at 1-888-972-0024 to review by phone. You can also e-mail us by CLICKING HERE.
- We submit your general medical profile to 10-15 of the most competitive, highly rated life insurance companies with the lowest rates in the industry (again, no personal information is disclosed)
- We review each of the offers and send you a spreadsheet with the lowest rates from the company or companies that made the best offer(s)
- You apply for the policy of your choice. We walk you through the application, follow up on the underwriting, and get the finalized offer. Note, there is no cost to apply and no obligation to accept the final offer from the insurer.
- The policy can be delivered, signed, and paid for electronically with many insurers today – a paper policy delivery can still be mailed upon request. Once the signatures and initial payment are completed – you’re done!