Sleep apnea is one of the most overlooked high risk health conditions when shopping for life insurance. Many people who experience sleep apnea or use a CPAP or BiPAP machine do not even realize that having sleep apnea can substantially affect the rates for life insurance. There are three types of sleep apnea:
Severe Obstructive Sleep Apnea – requires use of a CPAP or BiPAP machine
Moderate Obstructive Sleep Apnea – requires use of a CPAP or BiPAP machine
Mild Obstructive Sleep Apnea – does not require treatment. Physician may recommend diet and exercise as effective treatment.
Life insurance companies will want to know the following information to make an accurate risk assessment:
- How is your sleep apnea treated?
- How long have you had sleep apnea?
- Has the condition improved since it was first diagnosed, or progressively become worse?
- Have you taken any steps to improve your sleep apnea, such as improving diet and exercising regularly?
- What were the results of any sleep studies you have had?
- re you a smoker or tobacco user?
- What is your height/weight? Blood pressure levels normal?
- Any other co-morbid conditions such as diabetes, obesity, heart disease, etc?
If you have been diagnosed with sleep apnea, you should not apply with multiple companies at the same time. The more companies that give you a table rating or decline coverage on a formal application, the less likely you are to get a better offer!
You need the help of an independent life insurance agent that can shop your medical profile informally (no personal information is revealed to the insurance companies, just a general medical profile). We specialize in high risk life insurance and make sure you are getting the best possible offer. This is how it works:
- Call us at 1-888-972-0024 to review by phone. You can also e-mail us by CLICKING HERE.
- We submit your general medical profile to 10-15 of the most competitive, highly rated life insurance companies with the lowest rates in the industry (again, no personal information is disclosed)
- We review each of the offers and send you a spreadsheet with the lowest rates from the company or companies that made the best offer(s)
- You apply for the policy of your choice. We walk you through the application, follow up on the underwriting, and get the finalized offer. Note, there is no cost to apply and no obligation to accept the final offer from the insurer.
- The policy can be delivered, signed, and paid for electronically with many insurers today – a paper policy delivery can still be mailed upon request. Once the signatures and initial payment are completed – you’re done!