Why should I buy a Medigap plan? – this is by far one of the most common questions people ask when they’re trying to figure out what they should do with their Medicare coverage.
The main reason why anyone buys a Medigap plan is because they want help paying for some or all of their medical expenses not covered by Medicare Parts A & B (also known as Original Medicare).
- create a very controlled and predictable healthcare cost structure.
- greatly limit your maximum out-of-pocket expenses.
- allow you to see any doctor that accepts Medicare – there are no networks! Great for when you’re traveling.
- your coverage is guaranteed renewable – your plan cannot be cancelled as long as premiums are paid.
- your coverage goes with you even when you move – the rates simply change to the rates for the new zip code.
- no copayments to providers.
- are doctor driven care – the health plan does not decide what test and procedures you are approved for. If Medicare approves the charge, your plan must cover their share of expenses.
- give you the ability to travel the country and use any doctor or hospital.
- do not require pre-certification for treatments.
- coverage includes care given at the MAYO clinic and the MD Anderson Cancer Treatment Centers.
Ask yourself this – if you made a trip to the hospital, would you prefer a minimal cost bill (as low as $0) or would you prefer to take the risk of being billed for thousands of dollars?