Crohn’s disease is an inflammatory bowel that usually effects the intestines, but can also effect other parts of the gastrointestinal tract. Symptoms usually include abdominal cramping, chronic fatigue, excessive weight loss, loose and painful stool, joint pain, and more. Crohn’s disease is a lifetime condition with no known cure and increases the future risk of bowel or colon cancer. There are three main categories of Crohn’s:
Severe Crohn’s disease – constant flare-ups, hospitalizations or surgery required, joint and internal pain, frequent bleeding. Prescription medication required.
Moderate Crohn’s – occasional flare-ups and abdominal pain, mild weight loss, no surgery or hospitalizations required. May require the use of prescriptions.
Mild Crohn’s – likely only a single flare-up. Treatment initially sought from physician, but little or no additional symptoms or treatment. Does not require prescription use.
If you have been diagnosed with Crohn’s and are trying to purchase life insurance, the severity of the disease can have an effect on the rates you pay. Some people with Crohn’s may be able qualify for standard rates, but a table rating (i.e. extra premium adjustment) may also be assigned based on the severity and treatment. Life insurance companies will want to know the following information to make an accurate risk assessment:
- What age were you diagnosed with Crohn’s disease?
- How many flare-ups have you had? When was the last one?
- Has the condition improved since it was first diagnosed, or progressively become worse?
- Was any hospitalization or surgery required?
- Are you taking prescription medication?
- Are you a smoker or tobacco user?
- What is your height/weight?
- Any other co-morbid conditions such as diabetes, obesity, heart disease, etc?
If you have been diagnosed with Crohn’s disease, you should not apply with multiple companies at the same time. The more companies that give you a table rating or decline coverage on a formal application, the less likely you are to get a better offer!
You need the help of an independent life insurance agent that can shop your medical profile informally (no personal information is revealed to the insurance companies, just a general medical profile). We specialize in high risk life insurance and make sure you are getting the best possible offer. This is how it works:
- Click the “Get a Quote” banner below or call us at 1-800-571-2980 to review by phone. You can also e-mail us at Info@terminsurancebrokers.com 24 hours a day.
- We submit your general medical profile to 10-15 of the most competitive, highly rated life insurance companies with the lowest rates in the industry (again, no personal information is disclosed)
- We review each of the offers and send you a spreadsheet with the lowest rates from the company or companies that made the best offer(s)
- You apply for the policy of your choice. We walk you through all of the paperwork, follow up on the medical underwriting, and get the finalized offer.
- The policy is prepared and mailed with a return envelope, just sign where indicated and return with the premium. You’re done!