A history of being charged with driving under the influence (DUI) or driving while intoxicated (DWI) one or more times can make it difficult to obtain the life insurance coverage you need at an affordable rate. The ratings that life insurance companies will assign for people with history of DUI vary substantially between companies and the difference could cost you thousands of dollars. Life insurance companies will want to know the following information to make an accurate risk assessment:
- How many times have you been charged with DUI/DWI?
- When was the most recent charge?
- Are you currently on probation?
- Has your license been revoked or suspended one or more times?
- Have you been cited for any other traffic offenses?
- Have you sought treatment for alcohol abuse at a rehab facility or attended meetings with support groups like Alcoholics Anonymous?
- Are you still drinking, or have you quit completely?
The most likely offer you receive will either require a “table” rating or a “flat extra” rating. A table rating is an additional percentage charged on top of the standard premium. As an example, a Table D/Table 4 is generally about two times the standard premium. A flat extra rating is an additional cost per thousand dollars of coverage, such as $2.50 per thousand. Another example would be a $1,000,000 policy with a flat extra of $2.50 per thousand would require additional premium of $2,500 in addition of the standard rate, regardless of how many years the policy is guaranteed.
If you have a history of DUI or DWI, you should NOT apply with multiple companies at the same time. The more companies that give you a table rating, flat extra rating, or decline coverage on a formal application, the less likely you are to get a better offer!
You need the help of an independent life insurance agent that can shop your medical profile informally (no personal information is revealed to the insurance companies, just a general medical profile). We specialize in high risk life insurance and make sure you are getting the best possible offer. This is how it works:
- Click the “Get a Quote” banner below or call us at 1-800-571-2980 to review by phone. You can also e-mail us at Info@terminsurancebrokers.com 24 hours a day.
- We submit your general medical profile to 10-15 of the most competitive, highly rated life insurance companies with the lowest rates in the industry (again, no personal information is disclosed)
- We review each of the offers and send you a spreadsheet with the lowest rates from the company or companies that made the best offer(s)
- You apply for the policy of your choice. We walk you through all of the paperwork, follow up on the medical underwriting, and get the finalized offer.
- The policy is prepared and mailed with a return envelope, just sign where indicated and return with the premium. You’re done!