Medigap Plan D is offered by most states, and like other supplement plans, covers basic benefits for medical and hospital expenses. Ideally, this plan will benefit people who want to be able to predict what their monthly medical expenses will be, but are willing to pay a little more of out-of-pocket for health expenses to keep their premiums down.
Medigap Plan D covered benefits:
- Medicare Part A coinsurance plus coverage for 365 additional days after Medicare benefits are used up
- Medicare Part B coinsurance or copayment
- First 3 pints of blood
- Part A hospice care coinsurance or copayment
- Part A hospitalization deductible
- Skilled nursing facility co-insurance
- Foreign travel emergency (up to plan limits)
Medigap Plan D benefits not covered:
- Medicare Part B medical deductible
- Medicare Part B excess charges
In short, this plan is the same as Medigap Plan C except you’re willing to pay the Medicare Part B deductible ($147 in 2014) to lower your premium.