Medigap Plan K covers benefits in a more unique manner than most other Medigap plans. This plan covers 100% of the Medicare Part A coinsurance and, after Medicare benefits are exhausted, hospital costs up to an additional 365 days. The insured is responsible for 50% of the Medicare Part A deductible, Medicare Part B coinsurance/copayment, the first 3 pints of blood, the Medicare Part A hospice care coinsurance/copayment, and the skilled nursing facility care coinsurance. The Part B deductible, Part B excess charges, and foreign travel emergency benefits are not covered under this plan.
After the yearly out-of-pocket limit, $4,940 in 2014, and Part B deductible, $147 in 2014, has been met, the Medigap plan will pay for 100% of covered services for the rest of the calendar year.
This plan is designed for individuals who want to pay less in premium and are willing to pay more out of their own pocket if expenses are incurred for charges approved, but not fully covered, by Medicare.
Medigap Plan K covered benefits:
- 100% of Medicare Part A coinsurance plus coverage for 365 additional days after Medicare benefits are used up
- 50% of Medicare Part B coinsurance or copayment
- 50% of first 3 pints of blood
- 50 % of Part A hospice care coinsurance or copayment
- 50% of Part A deductible for hospital insurance
Medigap Plan K benefits not covered:
- Medicare Part B deductible
- Medicare Part B excess charges
- Foreign travel emergency (up to plan limits)
See the chart below for a side-by-side comparison of each of the Medicare supplement plans:
For questions about Virginia Medigap Plans or if you would like a free quote comparison, please give us a call at 1-800-571-2980 between the hours of 9 AM and 9 PM eastern time. You can also reach us by e-mail at Info@terminsurancebrokers.com 24 hours a day.