Epilepsy is a disorder of the brain and nervous system involving repeated random seizures that occur without warning. They seizures are caused by an abnormal level of electrical signals in the brain. There are three main types of epileptic seizures:
Grand mal (generalized tonic-clonic) – involves the entire body, usually including muscle rigidness/contractions, uncontrollable convulsions, and loss of consciousness.
Petit mal (absence) – brief seizure usually lasting for less than 15-30 seconds. Most common in children and young adults.
Focal (partial) – characterized as simple or complex. Usually involves memory loss and effecting behavior. Can turn into a grand mal seizure.
If you have been diagnosed with epilepsy and are trying to purchase life insurance, the severity of the disease can have an effect on the rates you pay. Life insurance companies will want to know the following information to make an accurate risk assessment:
- What age were you diagnosed with epilepsy?
- How many and what type of seizures have you had in the last five years? Last two years? Last 12 months?
- Has the condition improved since it was first diagnosed, or progressively become worse?
- Have you ever been hospitalized for epilepsy?
- Are you taking prescription medication to control symptoms?
- Are you a smoker or tobacco user?
- What is your height/weight?
- Any other co-morbid conditions such as diabetes, obesity, heart disease, etc?
If you have been diagnosed with epilepsy, you should not apply with multiple companies at the same time. The more companies that give you a table rating or decline coverage on a formal application, the less likely you are to get a better offer!
You need the help of an independent life insurance agent that can shop your medical profile informally (no personal information is revealed to the insurance companies, just a general medical profile). We specialize in high risk life insurance and make sure you are getting the best possible offer. This is how it works:
- Click the “Get a Quote” banner below or call us at 1-800-571-2980 to review by phone. You can also e-mail us at Info@terminsurancebrokers.com 24 hours a day.
- We submit your general medical profile to 10-15 of the most competitive, highly rated life insurance companies with the lowest rates in the industry (again, no personal information is disclosed)
- We review each of the offers and send you a spreadsheet with the lowest rates from the company or companies that made the best offer(s)
- You apply for the policy of your choice. We walk you through all of the paperwork, follow up on the medical underwriting, and get the finalized offer.
- The policy is prepared and mailed with a return envelope, just sign where indicated and return with the premium. You’re done!